Friday, June 15, 2007

Colleges of Education

Vent alert...You know, it really gets my dander up when I hear people talk about how schools of education are worthless. IMO this only gives credit to those who see teachers as mere babysitters and anything but professionals. As a Secondary English Education major, I had to take the same amount of content courses as regular English majors plus the required Education courses. There was no room for any electives in my program.

Alternative certification is fine but please stop discrediting those of us who have gone through the normal route for teacher certification. My education classes as well as the many content courses I had to take have indeed prepared me for the classroom and I take offense when people generalize that this is not the case. Student teaching is not a perfect science but it is better than being "thrown to the wolves." We all want the best for our children. Stop griping and do something positive.

2 comments:

Teacha said...

i didn't know that people could get alternative licensure and not ever pursue a permanent or professional license without going through a COE. I do tend to gripe about my COE experience b/c I don't feel that they gave me enough practical skills for the classroom. I feel they spend WAAAAAYYYY too much time talking about the ideal instead of the real. I really believe that there should be more classroom experience included in these education classes. I had to get a B.A. in History and then go back for the education classes. The education classes frustrated me b/c there was too much time spent on philosophies, education history and non practical knowledge. they should have spent more time focusing on research based strategies and skills that will make us successful and our students in the classroom. This is MY EXPERIENCE w/ COEs.

Mrs. M said...

Oh trust me, my COE classes were the ones all the secondary majors detested. The ECE majors were always perky, regardless of the class/situation.

A degreed individual can obtain a provisional license, by simply passing the certification exam(s) in your content area. There are a couple of classes required but you don't have to spend a year or so earning another degree. We have several state run programs that will assist you with this. Actually, I think they spend more time discussing those "research based strategies" instead of focusing on education philosophies.

That last sentence leads me to believe that I may harbor some jealously about that. (haha) I just hate to hear people say that teacher education programs are worthless. Boring. Repetitive. But not worthless as a whole.