Saturday, July 7, 2007

I can't put a title on this thing! I had a talk with my new department head today. I now understand why people slit their wrists. We went over the reading list for my courses and I was not impressed. I mean really, I know there are works that all students should be exposed to but come on. Do they really need Old Man and the Sea in 9th and Grapes of Wrath in 10th? No they don't, especially when the curriculum has no diversity whatsoever. No Blacks, Asians, Native Americans...just dead white men. I love the canon, I'm a fan, really I am. However, these kids need more.

How can you teach American Literature without teaching about the people who made America what it is today? Where is the melting pot in the 9th grade survey course? Why do they have to wait until they enroll in Multicultural Lit before they are exposed to Morrison, Tan, Charlot, Gish Jen? I can't speak for the other new teachers but my students will be exposed to a variety of great works. Some of them may still be alive. Oh yeah, Fitzgerald was the most contemporary author that we discussed. Yikes! Let's try to keep them awake okay? I'm planning as I speak. Hmm...I may have to change the title of this blog to A Rebel with a Cause.

No comments: